Let’s Play A Hand, Part 3 wm55

We left off last time in a slightly precarious position, but generally wm55 feeling OK about where we stood. In the situation in part 2, I like a check on the flop for two reasons:
1. A bet won’t necessarily give us the information we want. There’s a flush draw and a loose-passive player with position. In addition, the loose-passive player has a penchant for making annoying steal underbets when checked to.
2. I’d like to get a feel for where the BB is before committing any more chips.We have 2,255 left and the pot is now 1,275. As a reminder, blinds are 75/150.
I think this is about the best possible scenario we could have hoped for. UTG+1’s bet looks weak, as I anticipated, and the BB gives up. That said, UTG+1 does still have position and there are potential overcards that could throw a wrench into things. On the other hand, we’ve been waiting for a spot to play a hand with this guy and, unless he has a K, we’re probably ahead. I can think of a lot of hands that would take a bluff stab at this pot, but only a few make sense being ahead, given that he did call a preflop raise (KQ, maybe JJ, set of 7’s). I honestly think we’re ahead of most of his range here.
So, given that, do we just give up anyway and fold, merely call to see the turn, or check-raise? And, if we check-raise, is it time to drop the hammer (no, not that one) or is there an in-between?
Last we left off, our hero had to decide what to do about UTG+1’s underbet on the flop. In all likelihood, this was to be the tipping point in the hand. At this point, I’m still doing everything I can to balance the probability that I have the best hand with the facts that I’m out of position and I don’t really want to go broke/push all my chips in with two outs.
In this spot, I felt that I still wanted to leave myself in position to get away from the hand and still have chips. However, I also kind of wanted to put UTG+1 to the test because I thought his bet was a likely steal stab and I didn’t want to give any free cards.
So, I check-raised to 900. Looking back, the amount of the check-raise could have been 750 and probably would have achieved the same thing. I wanted to leave myself with 8-10 BB in case he didn’t fold (in which case, I was giving up). I also thought the check-raise had the potential to plant a seed of doubt, even if he did actually have a K (unlikely, but possible). How he would react to the check-raise would have/should have put an end to the hand, but…
Interestingly, he just called. Like I said before, the initial plan was to just give up if he didn’t fold, but now I might have extra outs (remember, I have the T of spades). On the other hand, I could still be drawing to 2 outs or now be completely dead.

Back To Top